Bio-Ontologies SIG and Phenotype Day
The 2015 meeting will be a two day SIG, with July 11th as Phenotype Day focused on the systematic description of phenotypic variation. Phenotype Day is an event to discuss phenotype-related issues and resources, and to share your experience in defining, representing, processing and using phenotype data. We strongly encourage relevant submissions directly to the special Phenotype Day event.
The Bio-Ontologies SIG provides a forum for discussion of the latest research in the application of ontologies and in the organisation, presentation and dissemination of knowledge in the life sciences. In its 18th year, Bio-Ontologies is one of the longest running SIG at ISMB.
Papers are invited in areas, such as the applications of bio-ontologies, newly developed bio-ontologies, and the use of ontologies in data sharing standards. Example topics include (but not limited to):
- Applications of ontologies in bioinformatics
- Hypothesis Testing Platforms
- Use of Ontologies in Data Mining
- "Flash updates" on Newly Developed or Existing Bio-Ontologies
- Bio-Curation Platforms
- Automated Annotation Pipelines
- Efforts using ontologies for Bio-NLP or Information Retrieval
- Semantic Web Enabled Applications
- Role of Bio-Ontologies in Health 2.0
- Advances in development of biomedical ontologies
- Collaborative Ontology Authoring and Peer-Review Mechanisms
- Automated Ontology Learning
- Mapping between Ontologies
- Research in Ontology Evaluation
- Crowd sourcing Ontology review and evaluation
We invite three types of submissions.
- Short papers, up to 4 pages.
- Poster abstracts, up to 1 page.
- Flash updates, up to 1 page
Following review, successful papers will be presented at the Bio-Ontologies SIG. Poster abstracts will be provided poster space and time will be allocated for a flash update on the poster. Flash updates are for short talks (5 min) giving the salient new developments on existing public ontologies. Unsuccessful papers will automatically be considered for poster and flash update presentation.